Thursday, April 16, 2009

What-apotamus?

Back when DH and I were first living together, he had a habit of saying I was 'beautimous'. If I recall correctly, that was something the cool boys said to their girls back in the 80's. Yeah, that's cool... in a dorkishly outdated kind of way. (Isn't it?)

I don't know. To me it sounded way too much like 'hippopotamus'... and for some strange reason that just doesn't seem like much of a compliment, ya know?

In the interest of always being open and honest about things, I had of course kept my dislike of that term bottled up inside. That is until it burst out in a waterfall of emotion and protest one night when I was feeling a bit on the hippy side of the scale. Nothing like freaking him out during what was supposed to be a tender moment, eh? Just call me the Queen of Tact and Timing.

After DH got a good laugh at me for thinking he was likening me to a hippopotamus (and then apologizing for laughing me, I might add) we somehow coined what was the beginning of a never-ending string of nicknames for me...

When I am upset, DH says I am an emotia-potamus.

When I am tired... a sleepy-potamus.

When I trip and fall (or do something else extraordinarily graceful), he oh-so-lovingly refers to me as a klutz-apotamus. How... quaint.

Then there is dork-apotamus, bratty-potamus, grouch-apotamus...

Well, you get the picture. He can pretty much whip out an 'apotamus' name for whatever the situation may be. It's an art, really. And, for some unexplainable (and probably really dorky reason), I get all giggly and happy when he calls me his 'wife-apotamus'.

I know. I need therapy.

Yours truly,
Blog-apotamus

No comments:

Post a Comment