Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Different Kind of Easter Hunt

Have you ever heard of Tony Hawk? You know... the world renowned skateboarding guru extraordinaire? If not then maybe you should. Today he did something truly remarkable, and my family (along with 364,000 or so other people) 'watched' as he and a handful of helpers pulled off an entirely different type of Easter hunt. Tony shipped autographed Tony Hawk skateboard decks all over the country (and even several internationally) and had his own version of Santa's Little Helpers hide them. Then he manned his twitter page all day today giving hints as to where the decks could be found. All he asked in return was for people to post pictures when the boards were located.

And it was... awesome.

Just watching the 'hunt' unfold on twitter today put a big ol' smile on my family's faces... and we aren't even boarders or skaters or anything. It was just the excitement that radiated off the pictures of those that were lucky enough to find the golden eggs... err... decks. It was contagious. And the mother who snatched one up for her son who is serving in Afghanistan? She brought me to tears. Yes, it's true... I had an emotional moment.

I hope others were as touched today as my family was. For us, it made us wonder what we could do here in Small Town that would invoke the same kind of excitement and good-natured fun that Tony was able to create on a much bigger scale today.

And for that kind of inspiration, I'd like to tell him thank you. Who knows... maybe I just did.

1 comment:

  1. We were one of the lucky ones to find one of his "eggs" It took over 14 hours of searching, googling, talking to skateboarders, a tank of gas, driving around our fairly large city and going back to the same spot 3 times to search before finding it. It was a wonderful bonding experience for my 13 year old son and I. I can't even begin to tell you how he feels.
    How nice of you to blog about it.:)

    ReplyDelete