Friday, April 10, 2009

My Easter Flashback


Lately, I have been thinking about Easter when I was a kid.

My brother and I dyed Easter eggs, and our folks would hide them for us to find the next morning. Those suckers would be laying around the house for hours and hours. And then we'd find 'em. And eat them. Heck, mom used to send one in our lunch boxes when we were old enough to be in school, too. Refrigeration? We don't need no stinkin' refrigeration! And you know what? Not once did we get sick from those eggs.

This is me, circa 1973. Wasn't I adorable? And chubby? From the looks of me, I wasn't afraid to eat much of anything back then.

Fast forward to 2009. Now it's unheard of to hide the eggs you dye... well, unless you plan to just throw them away, and that's just crazy talk. I mean, what about all the deviled eggs they could make?! I don't even want to think about it!

Nowadays, kids still dye Easter eggs, but then they are safely placed back in the fridge, lest we all get food poisoning. Some marketing genius is a bazillionaire because now all of us parents buy plastic eggs. And then buy candy to fill them. And then we still fill an Easter basket with goodies, too.

But I still love Easter. And, thankfully, so does our DD. This week she informed us that she'll want us to hide eggs for her when she's twenty and home visiting from college over Easter break.

Sounds like a plan to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment