Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm A Loser...

Yes, it's true. I am a loser.

Now, before anyone starts lecturing me about saying self-depreciating things about myself, let me explain. For the last 9 weeks, I have been participating in Small Town's version of The Biggest Loser. Teams of 4 people competed against other teams to see who could lose the largest percentage of body fat. My team was called the B'Walkin' O'Mamas... could we have been any cutesier with our name? I think not. After all, we were looking for a little... change. (sorry... couldn't resist...)

Unlike the network TV version, there were no cameras following us around (thank heaven for that) and there were no trainers calling us wimps if we decided to just lounge around on our living room couches instead of working out (again, thank heavens). And, while the local newspaper published the team names and how they were collectively losing, no one knew who lost (or gained) as individuals. Amen.

Another refreshing difference is we didn't have to vote off other teams. What. A. Relief. I have to be honest, that is one part of the TV version I just don't like. I can't help it. I have struggled with my weight since the tender age of 6-weeks old. Seriously. My mom has often talked of how well I ate as a baby, and how the doctor put me on a diet at 6 weeks old. Six freakin' weeks old... and on a diet? How depressing is that? It's no wonder I think all the people on that show should just be allowed to stay and lose, and lose... and LOSE... without worrying about interpersonal politics, or clicks, or anything else besides getting healthy. In fact, I think it would be heartwarming if they could sit around a campfire and sing Kumbaya every night... minus the s'mores, of course. But that wouldn't make for Must See TV. Yet another reason I'm not a high-powered TV exec, right?

But I digress.

My own triumph during the last 9 weeks... 17 pounds lost. Okay, I'll admit it... it was 18 as of last week, but then there were these little white cupcakes, you see... and... and... well, I'm sure you can figure out the rest. *sigh*

I'm not complaining. Seventeen pounds is a huge achievement, especially in such a short amount of time. And, just because the last official weigh-in was today doesn't mean I'm done... I'm going to keep on going. One of my teammates is going to keep up the weight loss and exercise with me, too. Yay for us!

So, yeah... I'm a loser. And dadgum proud of it, too.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! You gave me a great idea for the MC weight loss challenge. We were going to do it individually, but we couldn't get it worked out. Doing it by regions and as a group would be great!

    I'm glad you're writing in this a lot... I am subscribed to it, so I read it when I can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane

    Your Awesome!!!

    ~SBrau

    ReplyDelete