Monday, March 30, 2009

Everyone Knows it's Windyyyyyyyy

One thing I'm not sure I'll ever get used to living here in Small Town, Kansas is the wind. The nearly constant, annoying wind. It's a weather element I've never been fond of, to tell you the truth.

At my parents' house back in Big Suburbia, the wind whistles through the trees and makes an eerie, creepy sound that makes you wonder if a chain-saw wielding serial killer is going to come jumping out at you at any moment. It's that kind of a sound. Just... creepy sounding. I hated staying home alone in that house because I'd lay awake at night convinced Jason or Michael or whoever was the horror movie bad guy at the time would accompany that wind. Don't ask me why, I just was.

My feelings towards wind haven't changed much since moving to Small Town. Except that it is windy here much more often. Wayyyyy too often. Like more often than not. At least today it's not bringing with it the threat of tornadoes like it does on a regular basis. Tornadoes make me crabby, and that's not good.

Wind just seems so unnecessary. And messy. And it's hard to dress for, too. Seriously... just think about it for a moment: For every other kind of weather you can just dress or accessorize accordingly. Hot out? Wear shorts and sandals. Rainy? Carry an umbrella. Snow? Layers, baby... layers! But wind??? WIND? Nothing helps. Not even the infamous 'windbreaker'. What a joke! I bet somewhere the marketing genius who coined the phrase 'windbreaker' is pointing and laughing at all of us while he counts his money. A windbreaker... *snort*... not!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go untangle my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment