Sunday, May 10, 2009

Maybe I Am After All...

My Mother and I are diametric opposites. I have known this for many, many years. She is driven, hard-working and talented beyond explanation. I am convinced there is nothing she cannot do if she sets her mind to it. Nothing. And she doesn't need a staff of 300 to do it (eat your heart out Martha Stewart).

As for me, I am lazy, lazy... and while I have a creative side, I am not anywhere near as talented as she is even on my best of days. And I don't try to be (and thusly, LAZY).

My Mother's house is so clean you could eat off the floors. At my house there are times when I can't even see my floors through all the dog hair and clutter. Okay, so that might be a slight exaggeration, but in comparison, it's close.

My Mom never just sits. She is always doing something. Always. For me, I am an Olympic-caliber sitter.

Anyone could stop in at my Mom's house at any time and find it clean and company ready. She is never running around in her pajamas with her hair uncombed watching re-runs of America's Next Top Model. Me, on the other hand... well, I live in fear of unannounced company because at any given time I could be half-dressed, unshowered and catatonic in front of my TV even while there is a towering mess leering at me from the kitchen sink.

But, while on the phone with my Mom today, I was reminded just how much I am like her. She and I are without a doubt cut from the same cloth when it comes to emotions, and how we both bottle them up inside. We are easily cut to the quick by offhand things said and done by people we consider friends. And then the hurt stays with us for a very, very long time.

I called my Mom today to wish her a Happy Mother's Day, and hung up missing her so much there aren't even words to explain it. We are so different. And yet we are so much alike. And while I spend a great deal of time wishing I was more like her... well, it dawns on me that I already am.

Hey, Mom? I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment